Edinburgh (?): (unk), 1783. Hardcover. Poor. Item #17316
12mo. iv, 190pp. Remnants of full calf binding. Mostly in Latin with a section of the appendices in English. There are only two leather remnants of the original binding left on the boards, but enough to confirm a simple binding with a blind rule around the edges. The spine has perished completely leaving the sewing exposed, and with the boards hanging on only by worn cords. The ffep is gone, but the rfep is present. Given its history, no attempt has been made to stabilize or repair the binding; instead it has been housed in a custom clamshell case to protect it in the condition is has come down to us. A survival of the Catholic Mission to Scotland. With the Scottish Reformation, the old Catholic hierarchy of Scotland ended with the death of the Archbishop of Glasgow in 1603. Thereafter the Roman Church designated Scotland Missionary Territory. Catholics went underground and those caught practicing the Old Religion were imprisoned or killed. Catholic rituals such as this one were destroyed. It is no wonder that the sources are unsure of the place of printing or the name of the publisher and only guess at Edinburgh. Nor is it a surprise to find the book small enough to be concealed easily on one's person. It is well used, and a very scarce survival of a difficult period. The Catholic Scottish hierarchy was not restored until 1878 when conditions had changed sufficiently to allow it. Only one copy listed in OCLC; another edition, printed in London in the same year, has also only a single listing. ESTC T202694. Truly rare.